Russell Street Historical Walk, Toowoomba

Toowoomba, Toowoomba Area

This self-guided walking tour of Toowoomba's Russell Street will lead you by landmarks of fine historic architecture, many of which date back to the 1860s.

Russell Street was originally know as Farm Road. It was a dirt track used by squatters from the west to transport their sheep and cattle to Brisbane for sale and return with supplies to their properties. By 1954 it was renamed Russell Street after Henry Stuart Russell. Russell was an early Toowoomba resident whose various occupations included grazier, explorer, politician, author and gentleman.

Journey Details

Duration
1 Hours
Distance
2.5 Kilometres

Russel St
Toowoomba, Toowoomba Area
Queensland
Australia

Full itinerary

Toowoomba Railway Station

The original railway station was opened on 1 May 1867. It was a major engineering feat to build the line up the Great Dividing Range from Ipswich. The present building was opened on 26 October 1874 and was completely renovated in 1998/9. It is constructed in a classical revival style using Murphy’s Creek stone. The station was the centre of trade for many years with governors and royalty travelling to Toowoomba by train. Just across from the station there is a solid brick structure constructed during World War II for use as an air-raid shelter. Walk up the stairs to Station Street and turn left. At Russell Street turn right and commence walking up the hill.

LINESTRING (151.95366 -27.55896, 151.95367 -27.55892, 151.9537 -27.55877, 151.95323 -27.55869, 151.95249 -27.55855, 151.95235 -27.55852, 151.95229 -27.55851, 151.95225 -27.55852, 151.95223 -27.55853, 151.95221 -27.55854, 151.9522 -27.55854, 151.95219 -27.55855, 151.95218 -27.55856)
Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

The foundation stone for this church was laid by the Governor of Queensland on St James’ Day, 1 May 1869. The church is reminiscent of an English parish church. The tablets inside the church are reminders of Toowoomba’s most famous families including the Taylors, Renwicks and Grooms. Note the beautiful stained glass windows throughout the building. The windows along the centre aisle were erected by the parishioners in memory of those who died in World War I. A window in the baptistry commemorates a former parish priest, Rev. John Barge, who was killed by the Japanese in New Guinea during World War II.

Continue west up Russell Street to the next site.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance
Vacy Hall

No. 129, formerly Wislet, was designed by William Hodgen Jnr and built in 1908 by Harry Andrews for Dr Hinrichsen. It served as both home and medical rooms for successive families of Dr Connolly, then Dr Hulme. From 1963-1998 Wislet was the Wesley Hospital.

135 Russell Street - Vacy Hall at 135 Russell Street was designed by architect James Marks in the late 1880s for Mayor, Gilbert Gostwyck Cory. The property was built of double cavity brick and has many attractive internal features. The original house was destroyed by fire but was rebuilt in 1900. The Marks family had a significant role in designing buildings in the area. James’ sons, Henry (Harry) and Reginald, and his grandson Charles, also became architects. The firm practised from c.1881 until 1962 and favoured red brick buildings with white painted/rendered detailing.

126 Russell Street - Kensington at 126 Russell Street was built in the early 1900s and renovated for commercial use. The property has many features including metal cresting on the ridge of the roof and landscaping appropriate to the design of the house.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

120 Russell Street - Clifford House built in the early 1860s as a residential squatters’ club but never fulfilled that purpose. In 1869 the property was bought by James Taylor who was at various times Mayor of Toowoomba, MP and Minister for Lands.

112 Russell Street - Taylor Memorial Institute.

80 Russell Street - The site of the first hospital in Toowoomba. The hospital was a four-roomed cottage, owned by James Taylor, when it opened in 1859. Much of the old hotel building is now hidden.

78 Russell Street - Matilda House, built between 1885 and 1890 and was known as The Coffee Palace.

76 Russell Street - Hotel Norville, the first 3-storey building in Toowoomba.

26 Russell Street - Originally built for TJ Keogh, the building at 26 Russell Street was Mr A Gaydon’s saddlery for many years.

353 Ruthven Street - Toowoomba Post Office was opened on the south-west corner of Russell and Ruthven street and was moved to Margaret Street in the late 1870s. The present corner building was later known as Jubb’s Corner for many years after the pharmacist whose shop was located there. Cross Russell Street before walking towards the railway station.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

33 Russell Street - The former National Australia Bank, built in 1961, replaced the building designed by colonial architect FDG Stanley (1839-1897) and built by James Renwick. In 1870, it became The Commercial Hotel having “one of the coolest and most capacious cellars in the country”. A Council directive in 1953 resulted in removal of verandah posts to provide tie suspended metal street awnings.

37 Russell Street - Formerly HG Wyeth’s hardware store, opened in 1907. At the time the facade was described as ‘elaborate’ with natural lighting being given priority. Note the cast iron verandah supports, which are also used as downpipes.

55 Russell Street - The National Hotel was originally the European Hotel, built c.1883. In 1893 floodwaters were 4 feet 6 inches deep inside the hotel. The building has been renovated over the years, with major changes in the 1930s.

67-71 Russell Street - The ornate appearance of 71 Russell Street, c.1906, reflects the Marks family architectural influence. Originally the site of Neden Bros Flour Mill, the present building has housed cafes, dentists and many shops. The site is featured on the front cover of this brochure with original verandahs shown.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

Find what's nearby

顯示: 1-6 於 6
Sort by:
Show:

基克威拉站(Kilcowera Station)

Thargomindah, Bulloo Area
From AU$25 - 45
基克威拉站(Kilcowera Station)位於撒格敏達(Thargomindah)及亨格福德(Hungerford)之間,大概在西南昆士蘭(South West Queensland)道林小徑(Dowling Track)的一半之處。 搭乘航空或陸運交通工具前往的旅客,現在可以造訪這座 94000 公頃的設施,體驗當地的牧場、潟湖、溪水、水潭、深谷、洞穴及野生動物。 旅客可參加自行開車 60 公里的行程,參觀位於東部邊界,名列國際重要濕地公約(RAMSAR)的懷阿拉湖(Lake Wyara)。 這座湖泊與其相關濕地具有國際重要性,是澳洲最重要的內陸水鳥棲息地之一。 您在旅途中也將看見隔離的殺人井(Murderers'

波納斯草地丘陵農莊住居(Bonus Downs Farmstay)

Mitchell, Maranoa Area
From AU$35 - 120
波納斯草地丘陵(Bonus Downs)是私人擁有的花園住宅,由 Lyle 和 Madonna Connolly 經營,給您極致的內陸懷舊體驗。 體驗壯麗的波納斯草地丘陵農莊(Bonus Downs homestead)、在叢林中寧靜地漫步、參與日間活動或享受內陸氣氛。 無論您的興趣為何,波納斯草地丘陵(Bonus Downs)可讓每個人都開心。 波納斯草地丘陵(Bonus Downs)在友善、

Cobb & Co 旅行車營地(Cobb & Co Caravan Park)

Charleville, Murweh Area
From AU$30 - 90
Cobb & Co 旅行車營地(Cobb & Co Caravan Park)位於靜謐的林地當中,氣氛溫馨且環境整潔。 營地面積為數英畝,設有旅行車營地,步行即可抵達查爾維爾(Charleville)市中心。 櫃台提供旅遊資訊與名勝景點預訂服務。

倍利壩旅行車營地(Bailey Bar Caravan Park)

Charleville, Murweh Area
From AU$37 - 130
主人 Wendy 和 Julian,誠摯地邀情您到這座小小的綠洲,享受放鬆的假期,體驗西部的生活,就在倍利壩旅行車營地(Bailey Bar Caravan Park)。 坐落於國王街(King Street),倍利壩(Bailey Bar)是查爾維爾(Charleville)首屈一指的旅遊營地,位處便利,遠離繁忙吵嚷的公路,只需步行短短距哩,就能抵達城鎮中心。 倍利壩(Bailey Bar)的服務

寧迪加利酒館(Nindigully Pub)

Nindigully, Goondiwindi Area
From AU$25 - 50
寧迪吉利酒吧(Nindigilly Pub)是昆士蘭(Queensland)最古老的飯店,保留原始狀態,位於穆寧河(Moonie River)畔。 這間飯店一開始是寧迪谷利驛站(Nindigully Station)剪羊毛工人的住處,在 1864 年拿到營業執照。 從十九世紀晚期開始,寧迪吉利酒吧(Nindigilly Pub)就是大馬車的轉換站。 溪谷(The Gully)的人口雖然僅

鵜鶘居旅遊營地(Pelican Rest Tourist Park)

St George, Balonne Area
From AU$30 - 135
Steve 和 Lorraine McNamara 邀請您來探訪鵜鶘居旅遊營地(Pelican Rest Tourist Park),看看寧靜平和的環境,園區內擁有許多本土樹種、矮樹叢、大型草皮營區、小屋和熱情待客的環境等... 整體而言,這裏是探訪聖喬治(St George)和周邊地區的絕佳據點。 盡情享受聖喬治(St George)的名勝,包括獨特的蛋(The Unique Egg)、瑞沃
No Results Message
顯示: 1-6 於 6
Sort by:
Show:

Explore the region

註意:所列舉產品及服務的信息由相關運營商提供,信息內容以發布日為準。價格區間根據所能獲得服務和產品的最高和最低價格制定。如需更多信息,請訪問相關運營商網站。所有顯示價格為澳大利亞元。