Russell Street Historical Walk, Toowoomba

Toowoomba, Toowoomba Area

This self-guided walking tour of Toowoomba's Russell Street will lead you by landmarks of fine historic architecture, many of which date back to the 1860s.

Russell Street was originally know as Farm Road. It was a dirt track used by squatters from the west to transport their sheep and cattle to Brisbane for sale and return with supplies to their properties. By 1954 it was renamed Russell Street after Henry Stuart Russell. Russell was an early Toowoomba resident whose various occupations included grazier, explorer, politician, author and gentleman.

Journey Details

Duration
1 Hours
Distance
2.5 Kilometres

Russel St
Toowoomba, Toowoomba Area
Queensland
Australia

Full Itinerary

Toowoomba Railway Station

The original railway station was opened on 1 May 1867. It was a major engineering feat to build the line up the Great Dividing Range from Ipswich. The present building was opened on 26 October 1874 and was completely renovated in 1998/9. It is constructed in a classical revival style using Murphy’s Creek stone. The station was the centre of trade for many years with governors and royalty travelling to Toowoomba by train. Just across from the station there is a solid brick structure constructed during World War II for use as an air-raid shelter. Walk up the stairs to Station Street and turn left. At Russell Street turn right and commence walking up the hill.

LINESTRING (151.95366 -27.55896, 151.95367 -27.55892, 151.9537 -27.55877, 151.95323 -27.55869, 151.95249 -27.55855, 151.95235 -27.55852, 151.95229 -27.55851, 151.95225 -27.55852, 151.95223 -27.55853, 151.95221 -27.55854, 151.9522 -27.55854, 151.95219 -27.55855, 151.95218 -27.55856)
Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

The foundation stone for this church was laid by the Governor of Queensland on St James’ Day, 1 May 1869. The church is reminiscent of an English parish church. The tablets inside the church are reminders of Toowoomba’s most famous families including the Taylors, Renwicks and Grooms. Note the beautiful stained glass windows throughout the building. The windows along the centre aisle were erected by the parishioners in memory of those who died in World War I. A window in the baptistry commemorates a former parish priest, Rev. John Barge, who was killed by the Japanese in New Guinea during World War II.

Continue west up Russell Street to the next site.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance
Vacy Hall

No. 129, formerly Wislet, was designed by William Hodgen Jnr and built in 1908 by Harry Andrews for Dr Hinrichsen. It served as both home and medical rooms for successive families of Dr Connolly, then Dr Hulme. From 1963-1998 Wislet was the Wesley Hospital.

135 Russell Street - Vacy Hall at 135 Russell Street was designed by architect James Marks in the late 1880s for Mayor, Gilbert Gostwyck Cory. The property was built of double cavity brick and has many attractive internal features. The original house was destroyed by fire but was rebuilt in 1900. The Marks family had a significant role in designing buildings in the area. James’ sons, Henry (Harry) and Reginald, and his grandson Charles, also became architects. The firm practised from c.1881 until 1962 and favoured red brick buildings with white painted/rendered detailing.

126 Russell Street - Kensington at 126 Russell Street was built in the early 1900s and renovated for commercial use. The property has many features including metal cresting on the ridge of the roof and landscaping appropriate to the design of the house.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

120 Russell Street - Clifford House built in the early 1860s as a residential squatters’ club but never fulfilled that purpose. In 1869 the property was bought by James Taylor who was at various times Mayor of Toowoomba, MP and Minister for Lands.

112 Russell Street - Taylor Memorial Institute.

80 Russell Street - The site of the first hospital in Toowoomba. The hospital was a four-roomed cottage, owned by James Taylor, when it opened in 1859. Much of the old hotel building is now hidden.

78 Russell Street - Matilda House, built between 1885 and 1890 and was known as The Coffee Palace.

76 Russell Street - Hotel Norville, the first 3-storey building in Toowoomba.

26 Russell Street - Originally built for TJ Keogh, the building at 26 Russell Street was Mr A Gaydon’s saddlery for many years.

353 Ruthven Street - Toowoomba Post Office was opened on the south-west corner of Russell and Ruthven street and was moved to Margaret Street in the late 1870s. The present corner building was later known as Jubb’s Corner for many years after the pharmacist whose shop was located there. Cross Russell Street before walking towards the railway station.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

33 Russell Street - The former National Australia Bank, built in 1961, replaced the building designed by colonial architect FDG Stanley (1839-1897) and built by James Renwick. In 1870, it became The Commercial Hotel having “one of the coolest and most capacious cellars in the country”. A Council directive in 1953 resulted in removal of verandah posts to provide tie suspended metal street awnings.

37 Russell Street - Formerly HG Wyeth’s hardware store, opened in 1907. At the time the facade was described as ‘elaborate’ with natural lighting being given priority. Note the cast iron verandah supports, which are also used as downpipes.

55 Russell Street - The National Hotel was originally the European Hotel, built c.1883. In 1893 floodwaters were 4 feet 6 inches deep inside the hotel. The building has been renovated over the years, with major changes in the 1930s.

67-71 Russell Street - The ornate appearance of 71 Russell Street, c.1906, reflects the Marks family architectural influence. Originally the site of Neden Bros Flour Mill, the present building has housed cafes, dentists and many shops. The site is featured on the front cover of this brochure with original verandahs shown.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

Find What's Nearby

顯示: 1-9 於 9
排序方式:
顯示:

溫朵拉(Windorah)

Windorah, Barcoo Area
可盡覽巨大紅色沙丘全景的溫朵拉(Windorah)位於康奈爾(Channel Country)中心的庫柏溪(Cooper's Creek)旁。 這裡擁有令人讚嘆的美景、優美如畫的廢墟和歷史遺跡,再也沒有比此處更像「內陸」的地方。 溫朵拉(Windorah)的歷史和艾西斯福德(Isisford)密切關聯,因為這兩個城鎮都是由 Whitman 兄弟所創建。 這裡最初被稱為史東尼角(Stony Point),目前的原住民語名稱意指「大魚出沒之地」。 這一點和庫柏溪(Cooper'

迪亞曼蒂納國家公園(Diamantina National Park)

Bedourie, Diamantina Area
Free Entry
迪亞曼蒂納國家公園(Diamantina National Park)中,昆士蘭(Queensland)最長河流之一的寬闊迪亞曼蒂納河(Diamantina River),穿越水草糾結的水道,流經礫石遍佈的平原、沙丘和紅色山脈。 公園裡有大量的珍稀和瀕危動植物,兔耳袋狸即是其中之一。 有些湖泊被列為國家級的重要濕地,舊車站建築、墓地和酒店遺址則是過去放牧活動的遺跡。 這裡也是馬雅瓦歷(Maiawal

彼得瑞(Bedourie)

Bedourie, Diamantina Area
創立於 1880 年代的彼得瑞(Bedourie)是個富涵歷史意義的內陸城鎮,也是牧人和牛隻補給水源和休息的主要中繼站。 鎮上曾提供卡柏(Cobb and Co)馬車服務。 彼得瑞(Bedourie)是沙漠中的綠洲。 彼得瑞(Bedourie)是迪亞曼蒂納郡(Diamantina Shire)的行政中心。 此鎮佔地 94,690 平方公尺,是昆士蘭(Queensland)第二大郡,約為丹

辛普森沙漠國家公園(Simpson Desert National Park)

Birdsville, Diamantina Area
Free Entry
這裡是昆士蘭(Queensland)最大的保護區,面積達 1,012,000 公畝,位於乾燥的內陸。 成排的風成沙丘形成一片震懾人心的景觀。 有些沙丘廣達 200 公里,高達 90 公尺。 鹽田和鐵礦石遍佈的平地填滿了沙丘間的區域。 包括埃爾草鷯鶯(Eyrean grasswren)在內,公園中有超過 180 種的鳥類,以及數量龐大的哺乳類和爬行類動物。 大雨之後,野花盛開。 您可以拜訪大紅沙

博利亞(Boulia)

Boulia, Boulia Area
這個內陸(Outback)鄉間地區充滿了許多叢林軼事和傳奇故事,但是博利亞(Boulia)居民認為其中最精采的莫過於有關昆士蘭(Queensland)最具代表性的神秘小綠光(Min Min Light)的各種傳說。 以下就是您可能聽到的其中一個有關小綠光的傳說。 就在敏敏飯店(Min Min Hotel)於 1912 年被大火燒毀後不久,當時一位牧人首次親眼目睹小綠光(Min Min Light

大紅沙丘(Big Red)

Birdsville, Diamantina Area
Free Entry
登上 30 公尺高的壯觀大紅(Big Red)沙丘,是所有四輪驅動車愛好者的極致挑戰。 大紅(Big Red)沙丘是辛普森沙漠(Simpson Desert)1113 座沙丘之冠,登上沙丘欣賞日落,是您絕對不可錯過的體驗。 帶上一瓶香檳,與家人、朋友一起欣賞日落,或在旅程中慢慢享用。

伯茲維爾

Birdsville, Diamantina Area
伯茲維爾(Birdsville)是絕不能錯過的澳洲內陸(Outback)城鎮。 一向以原始鄉野和與世隔絕的環境著稱的伯茲維爾(Birdsville)現在也已發展成現代化社區,提供旅客綜合運動設施、體育館、兩個藝廊、烘焙坊、航班服務、汽車旅館、飯店、旅行車營地和度假小屋、咖啡廳和餐廳、雜貨店、郵局、醫療診所、加油站和汽車維修服務,以及警察局等設施。 位於辛普森沙漠(Simpson Desert)和斯特爾特(Sturt)的礫漠(Stoney Desert)之間的伯茲維爾(Birdsville)是著名的伯茲維爾路徑(Birdsville Track)的起點,這條路徑沿著辛普森沙漠(Simpson Desert)東側向南延伸。 伯茲維爾(Birdsville)於 1881 年創建之時,稱為「迪亞曼蒂納渡口(Diamantina Crossing)」,直到 1885 年才改為現在的名稱。 據說是一位名為 Robert Frew 的當地人為頌揚本地區豐富的鳥類生態而據此命名。 關於本鎮名稱起源的另一種說法是,當地居民將這裡命名為伯茲維爾(Birdsville),是為了紀念頗具聲望的拓荒者 J.

迪恩觀景點(Deon's Lookout)

Birdsville, Diamantina Area
Free Entry
來到迪恩觀景點(Deon's Lookout),記得準備好相機! 您一定會愛上眼前遼闊壯觀的景色。 這裡有休息區、公共廁所和野餐桌,是您旅途中歇腳的好地方。 迪恩觀景點(Deon's Lookout)位於貝圖塔(Betoota)東方,夏爾(Shire)邊界有清楚的路標指示。

鵜鶘角(Pelican Point)

Birdsville, Diamantina Area
Free Entry
鵜鶘角水潭(Pelican Point Billabong)位於靠近伯茲維爾(Birdsville)的迪亞曼蒂納河(Diamantina River)支流的小鎮郊外。 這裡有豐富的鳥類、魚類、小龍蝦及許多小型有袋類動物。 以乾枯的沙漠為背景,鵜鶘角(Pelican Point)在黃昏時特別美麗。 歡迎與親朋好友前來享受此令人放鬆的景點。 這裡是熱愛垂釣者不可錯過的綠洲。
對不起,沒有找到符合條件的結果。
顯示: 1-9 於 9
排序方式:
顯示:

Explore the Region

註意:所列舉產品及服務的信息由相關運營商提供,信息內容以發布日為準。價格區間根據所能獲得服務和產品的最高和最低價格制定。如需更多信息,請訪問相關運營商網站。所有顯示價格為澳大利亞元。