Russell Street Historical Walk, Toowoomba

Toowoomba, Toowoomba Area

This self-guided walking tour of Toowoomba's Russell Street will lead you by landmarks of fine historic architecture, many of which date back to the 1860s.

Russell Street was originally know as Farm Road. It was a dirt track used by squatters from the west to transport their sheep and cattle to Brisbane for sale and return with supplies to their properties. By 1954 it was renamed Russell Street after Henry Stuart Russell. Russell was an early Toowoomba resident whose various occupations included grazier, explorer, politician, author and gentleman.

Journey Details

Duration
1 Hours
Distance
2.5 Kilometres

Russel St
Toowoomba, Toowoomba Area
Queensland
Australia

Full Itinerary

Toowoomba Railway Station

The original railway station was opened on 1 May 1867. It was a major engineering feat to build the line up the Great Dividing Range from Ipswich. The present building was opened on 26 October 1874 and was completely renovated in 1998/9. It is constructed in a classical revival style using Murphy’s Creek stone. The station was the centre of trade for many years with governors and royalty travelling to Toowoomba by train. Just across from the station there is a solid brick structure constructed during World War II for use as an air-raid shelter. Walk up the stairs to Station Street and turn left. At Russell Street turn right and commence walking up the hill.

LINESTRING (151.95366 -27.55896, 151.95367 -27.55892, 151.9537 -27.55877, 151.95323 -27.55869, 151.95249 -27.55855, 151.95235 -27.55852, 151.95229 -27.55851, 151.95225 -27.55852, 151.95223 -27.55853, 151.95221 -27.55854, 151.9522 -27.55854, 151.95219 -27.55855, 151.95218 -27.55856)
Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

The foundation stone for this church was laid by the Governor of Queensland on St James’ Day, 1 May 1869. The church is reminiscent of an English parish church. The tablets inside the church are reminders of Toowoomba’s most famous families including the Taylors, Renwicks and Grooms. Note the beautiful stained glass windows throughout the building. The windows along the centre aisle were erected by the parishioners in memory of those who died in World War I. A window in the baptistry commemorates a former parish priest, Rev. John Barge, who was killed by the Japanese in New Guinea during World War II.

Continue west up Russell Street to the next site.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance
Vacy Hall

No. 129, formerly Wislet, was designed by William Hodgen Jnr and built in 1908 by Harry Andrews for Dr Hinrichsen. It served as both home and medical rooms for successive families of Dr Connolly, then Dr Hulme. From 1963-1998 Wislet was the Wesley Hospital.

135 Russell Street - Vacy Hall at 135 Russell Street was designed by architect James Marks in the late 1880s for Mayor, Gilbert Gostwyck Cory. The property was built of double cavity brick and has many attractive internal features. The original house was destroyed by fire but was rebuilt in 1900. The Marks family had a significant role in designing buildings in the area. James’ sons, Henry (Harry) and Reginald, and his grandson Charles, also became architects. The firm practised from c.1881 until 1962 and favoured red brick buildings with white painted/rendered detailing.

126 Russell Street - Kensington at 126 Russell Street was built in the early 1900s and renovated for commercial use. The property has many features including metal cresting on the ridge of the roof and landscaping appropriate to the design of the house.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

120 Russell Street - Clifford House built in the early 1860s as a residential squatters’ club but never fulfilled that purpose. In 1869 the property was bought by James Taylor who was at various times Mayor of Toowoomba, MP and Minister for Lands.

112 Russell Street - Taylor Memorial Institute.

80 Russell Street - The site of the first hospital in Toowoomba. The hospital was a four-roomed cottage, owned by James Taylor, when it opened in 1859. Much of the old hotel building is now hidden.

78 Russell Street - Matilda House, built between 1885 and 1890 and was known as The Coffee Palace.

76 Russell Street - Hotel Norville, the first 3-storey building in Toowoomba.

26 Russell Street - Originally built for TJ Keogh, the building at 26 Russell Street was Mr A Gaydon’s saddlery for many years.

353 Ruthven Street - Toowoomba Post Office was opened on the south-west corner of Russell and Ruthven street and was moved to Margaret Street in the late 1870s. The present corner building was later known as Jubb’s Corner for many years after the pharmacist whose shop was located there. Cross Russell Street before walking towards the railway station.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

33 Russell Street - The former National Australia Bank, built in 1961, replaced the building designed by colonial architect FDG Stanley (1839-1897) and built by James Renwick. In 1870, it became The Commercial Hotel having “one of the coolest and most capacious cellars in the country”. A Council directive in 1953 resulted in removal of verandah posts to provide tie suspended metal street awnings.

37 Russell Street - Formerly HG Wyeth’s hardware store, opened in 1907. At the time the facade was described as ‘elaborate’ with natural lighting being given priority. Note the cast iron verandah supports, which are also used as downpipes.

55 Russell Street - The National Hotel was originally the European Hotel, built c.1883. In 1893 floodwaters were 4 feet 6 inches deep inside the hotel. The building has been renovated over the years, with major changes in the 1930s.

67-71 Russell Street - The ornate appearance of 71 Russell Street, c.1906, reflects the Marks family architectural influence. Originally the site of Neden Bros Flour Mill, the present building has housed cafes, dentists and many shops. The site is featured on the front cover of this brochure with original verandahs shown.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

Find What's Nearby

显示: 1-6 于 6
排序方式:
显示:

黑山(卡尔卡佳卡)国家公园(Black Mountain (Kalkajaka) National Park)

Rossville, Cook Area
Free Entry
黑山国家公园(Black Mountain National Park)位于湿热带雨林世界遗产区(Wet Tropics World Heritage Area)北端,园内矗立着气势宏伟的黑色花岗岩巨石山脉。 巨石体积庞大,令人望而生畏,部分岩石有房屋大小,胡乱堆积,看起来摇摇欲坠 - 重力原理和逻辑思维都无法解释这一现象。 湿热带雨林和较为干旱的草原林地地区在公园交汇,是野生动物的庇护天堂。 园内

库克山国家公园(Mount Cook National Park)

Cooktown, Cook Area
Free Entry
库克山(Mount Cook)海拔 431 米,嶙峋险峻,矗立在库克山国家公园(Mount Cook National Park)内,为库克镇(Cooktown)提供了风景优美的背景。 库克山为纪念詹姆士·库克(James Cook)上尉而得名,是一座花岗岩山,山上长满茂盛的雨林和桉树林,原住民传统居民将此山称作“威姆博尔(Waymbuurr)”。 游客可沿陡峭的步行道前行两公里,前往威姆博尔观景点

库克镇(Cooktown)

Cooktown, Cook Area
自从 1770 年“奋进号”(HMS Endeavour)触礁,詹姆斯·库克船长(Captain James Cook)发现了库克镇后,历史悠久的库克镇在淘金热时期成为一个繁荣的港口。 开拓进取的早期居民和多年的地理隔离,为这座边境小镇增添了独特魅力的个性,时至今日仍然吸引着冒险家的到来。 土著、欧洲和中国历史在这个曾经繁华的小镇交汇,这里至今仍保留着大量历史印记,彰显着源自黄金开采时期的繁荣景象

库克镇植物园 (Cooktown Botanic Gardens) 和盖洛普植物保护区 (Gallop Botanic Reserve)

Cooktown, Cook Area
Free Entry
如需了解游览该景点期间所需掌握的一应信息,请前往库克镇植物园的自然动力 Nature's Powerhouse 游客服务中心。 盖洛普植物保护区建于 1878 年,其中包括一座正规植物园以及一片天然森林和滨海地带。 这个保护区的建立旨在纪念博物学家约瑟夫·班克斯 (Joseph Banks) 和丹尼尔·索兰德 (Daniel Solander),他们于 1770 年乘坐奋进号 (HMS Endeavour) 在当地收集并记录各种植物物种。 一个世纪之后,库克镇成为了帕默河金矿的主要港口。 数千计中国人在这里登陆上岸,随后在库克镇住下来。 这些中国人在当地建立园艺市场,并利用地上的木材制作木炭。 当政府宣布正式建立植物保护区后,中国人在这里修了一条路,建了一座苗圃,并且从布里斯班 (Brisbane) 生态驯化团体 (Acclimatisation Society) 处订购了树木和灌木。 19 世纪 90 年代,这里的人们用石材修了小路、砌了水池、建了桥梁,这里的苗圃当时为库克镇供应观赏树木。 这些园地在 1907 年遭遇了飓风,一战后曾经关闭,直至 1979 年才得到重建。 这些园地现在设有外来植被区、棕榈园、当地原生植物区以及“索兰德花园”(Solander'

蜥蜴岛(Lizard Island)

Lizard Island, Cook Area
蜥蜴岛是一座崎岖不��的美丽岛屿,位于热带北昆士兰(Tropical North Queensland)的大堡礁(Great Barrier Reef)北部。 蜥蜴岛拥有 24 个原生态海滩,从白沙滩到岩石嶙峋的悬崖,可谓形态各异;且有通往大堡礁最佳潜水点的便捷通道。 蜥蜴岛以水肺潜水和浮潜而著称,周围有珊瑚礁、带状礁和泻湖礁环绕。 蜥蜴岛紧邻位于大堡礁最富盛名的潜水点鳕鱼洞(Cod Hole),正

希望谷(Hope Vale)

Hope Vale,
希望谷原住民社区位于库克镇(Cooktown)以北 40 公里处。 社区确立为贝德福德角(Cape Bedford)附近海岸东侧的摩拉维亚路德教会(Moravian Lutheran Mission),社区后来才搬到现在的地点。 一位口碑极好的原住民导游可以带您到岩石艺术区以及信托地契据(Deed of Grant in Trust)的其他地方。 有什么可看之处?工艺品中心绝对值得参观,色彩斑斓
对不起,没有找到符合条件的结果。
显示: 1-6 于 6
排序方式:
显示:

Explore the Region

注意:所列举产品及服务的信息由相关运营商提供,信息内容以发布日为准。价格区间根据所能获得服务和产品的最高和最低价格制定。如需更多信息,请访问相关运营商网站。所有显示价格为澳大利亚元。