Russell Street Historical Walk, Toowoomba

Toowoomba, Toowoomba Area

This self-guided walking tour of Toowoomba's Russell Street will lead you by landmarks of fine historic architecture, many of which date back to the 1860s.

Russell Street was originally know as Farm Road. It was a dirt track used by squatters from the west to transport their sheep and cattle to Brisbane for sale and return with supplies to their properties. By 1954 it was renamed Russell Street after Henry Stuart Russell. Russell was an early Toowoomba resident whose various occupations included grazier, explorer, politician, author and gentleman.

Journey Details

Duration
1 Hours
Distance
2.5 Kilometres

Russel St
Toowoomba, Toowoomba Area
Queensland
Australia

Full Itinerary

Toowoomba Railway Station

The original railway station was opened on 1 May 1867. It was a major engineering feat to build the line up the Great Dividing Range from Ipswich. The present building was opened on 26 October 1874 and was completely renovated in 1998/9. It is constructed in a classical revival style using Murphy’s Creek stone. The station was the centre of trade for many years with governors and royalty travelling to Toowoomba by train. Just across from the station there is a solid brick structure constructed during World War II for use as an air-raid shelter. Walk up the stairs to Station Street and turn left. At Russell Street turn right and commence walking up the hill.

LINESTRING (151.95366 -27.55896, 151.95367 -27.55892, 151.9537 -27.55877, 151.95323 -27.55869, 151.95249 -27.55855, 151.95235 -27.55852, 151.95229 -27.55851, 151.95225 -27.55852, 151.95223 -27.55853, 151.95221 -27.55854, 151.9522 -27.55854, 151.95219 -27.55855, 151.95218 -27.55856)
Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

The foundation stone for this church was laid by the Governor of Queensland on St James’ Day, 1 May 1869. The church is reminiscent of an English parish church. The tablets inside the church are reminders of Toowoomba’s most famous families including the Taylors, Renwicks and Grooms. Note the beautiful stained glass windows throughout the building. The windows along the centre aisle were erected by the parishioners in memory of those who died in World War I. A window in the baptistry commemorates a former parish priest, Rev. John Barge, who was killed by the Japanese in New Guinea during World War II.

Continue west up Russell Street to the next site.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance
Vacy Hall

No. 129, formerly Wislet, was designed by William Hodgen Jnr and built in 1908 by Harry Andrews for Dr Hinrichsen. It served as both home and medical rooms for successive families of Dr Connolly, then Dr Hulme. From 1963-1998 Wislet was the Wesley Hospital.

135 Russell Street - Vacy Hall at 135 Russell Street was designed by architect James Marks in the late 1880s for Mayor, Gilbert Gostwyck Cory. The property was built of double cavity brick and has many attractive internal features. The original house was destroyed by fire but was rebuilt in 1900. The Marks family had a significant role in designing buildings in the area. James’ sons, Henry (Harry) and Reginald, and his grandson Charles, also became architects. The firm practised from c.1881 until 1962 and favoured red brick buildings with white painted/rendered detailing.

126 Russell Street - Kensington at 126 Russell Street was built in the early 1900s and renovated for commercial use. The property has many features including metal cresting on the ridge of the roof and landscaping appropriate to the design of the house.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

120 Russell Street - Clifford House built in the early 1860s as a residential squatters’ club but never fulfilled that purpose. In 1869 the property was bought by James Taylor who was at various times Mayor of Toowoomba, MP and Minister for Lands.

112 Russell Street - Taylor Memorial Institute.

80 Russell Street - The site of the first hospital in Toowoomba. The hospital was a four-roomed cottage, owned by James Taylor, when it opened in 1859. Much of the old hotel building is now hidden.

78 Russell Street - Matilda House, built between 1885 and 1890 and was known as The Coffee Palace.

76 Russell Street - Hotel Norville, the first 3-storey building in Toowoomba.

26 Russell Street - Originally built for TJ Keogh, the building at 26 Russell Street was Mr A Gaydon’s saddlery for many years.

353 Ruthven Street - Toowoomba Post Office was opened on the south-west corner of Russell and Ruthven street and was moved to Margaret Street in the late 1870s. The present corner building was later known as Jubb’s Corner for many years after the pharmacist whose shop was located there. Cross Russell Street before walking towards the railway station.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

33 Russell Street - The former National Australia Bank, built in 1961, replaced the building designed by colonial architect FDG Stanley (1839-1897) and built by James Renwick. In 1870, it became The Commercial Hotel having “one of the coolest and most capacious cellars in the country”. A Council directive in 1953 resulted in removal of verandah posts to provide tie suspended metal street awnings.

37 Russell Street - Formerly HG Wyeth’s hardware store, opened in 1907. At the time the facade was described as ‘elaborate’ with natural lighting being given priority. Note the cast iron verandah supports, which are also used as downpipes.

55 Russell Street - The National Hotel was originally the European Hotel, built c.1883. In 1893 floodwaters were 4 feet 6 inches deep inside the hotel. The building has been renovated over the years, with major changes in the 1930s.

67-71 Russell Street - The ornate appearance of 71 Russell Street, c.1906, reflects the Marks family architectural influence. Originally the site of Neden Bros Flour Mill, the present building has housed cafes, dentists and many shops. The site is featured on the front cover of this brochure with original verandahs shown.

Route Details
Mode of Travel Walk
Route Type One Way
Level of Difficulty Level 1: Suitable for the disabled with assistance

Find What's Nearby

Displaying 1-10 of 15
Sort by:
Show:

Bruce Highway - Buxton to Miriam Vale

Multiple Locations
The true adventure on the Bruce Highway begins through the Bundaberg North Burnett Region. From Buxton in the south through to Miriam Vale in the north. Bushrangers, barra, ancient predators, exotic treasures, liquid gold, frozen and bottled delights, history and heritage, and art displays await those travelling to the region.

Childers Library

Childers, Bundaberg Area
Free Entry
Childers Library offers various items for loan to members including bookings, DVDs, CDs, magazines, and eDownloads. Visitors are able to join the Library as temporary members by paying a refundable security deposit.

Snakes Downunder Reptile Park and Zoo

Childers, Bundaberg Area
From AU$18 - 22
Snakes Downunder Reptile Park and Zoo is a fun and affordable day out to be enjoyed by the whole family. Admission cost includes the opportunity to handle a python, view snake shows, a koala talk and a crocodile feeding display and enjoy guided tours of various static displays.

Bundaberg to Cania Gorge Outdoors Weekend Drive

Multiple Locations
This delightful drive route winds from the cane city of Bundaberg out to stunning Cania Gorge, taking in tiny townships and quaint countryside along the way. You'll enjoy food, wine and rum (of course), historical buildings, vineyards, agriculture and mining, before marveling at the cliffs, gorges, caves and Aboriginal art of Cania Gorge National Park.

Gayndah War Memorial

Gayndah, North Burnett Area
Free Entry
The north Burnett town of Gayndah is known for its oranges, and Queensland's most impressive outdoor honour board to war heroes. Harold Wilson, from nearby Cooranga station, privately commissioned the memorial, presenting it to Rawbelle and Gayndah councils in 1921 in honour of the 270 local men who enlisted in WWI.

Apple Tree Creek War Memorial

Apple Tree Creek, Bundaberg Area
Free Entry
Australia's participation in WWI had an immense impact on the population. Almost one in five men who went to fight, died. That was certainly the experience in the Wide Bay's tiny farming community of Apple Tree Creek.

Lake Monduran

Gin Gin, Bundaberg Area
Free Entry
You can't avoid Bass and Barra when it comes to Lake Monduran. You can do Barramundi charters, fish yourself for barra on the lake, eat barra, picnic with barra, barbecue with Barra and even be in a competition to catch the biggest Barra.

Gayndahs Big Orange

Gayndah, North Burnett Area
Free Entry
Gayndah is known as the citrus capital of Queensland and also the home of the Big Orange. Visit between April and October to taste the fresh juice made from the citrus growing on the property. The cafe serves up delectable Devonshire Teas and Real Bean Coffees.

Off The Wagon Tours

Apple Tree Creek, Bundaberg Area
Off The Wagon Tours offer a range of tours around Childers, Bundaberg and Hervey Bay, Queensland. Enjoy a day out visiting the Childers wineries sampling unique and varied wines including fruit wines, morning tea, local produce lunch, local area commentary and of course a driver.

Bundaberg to Eidsvold Weekend Drive

Multiple Locations
The incredible legend of RM Williams lays at the end of this drive which takes you from Bundaberg, past the Boolboonda Tunnel, out towards Mount Perry and onwards to Eidsvold. Measuring some 180 kilometres long, take your time to enjoy this peaceful corner of regional Queensland.
No Results Message
Displaying 1-10 of 15
Sort by:
Show:

Explore the Region

Note: Information on listed products and services are provided by the operator and were correct at the time of publishing. Rates are indicative based on the minimum and maximum available prices of products and services. Please visit the operator’s website for further information. All prices quoted are in Australian dollars (AUD).