Experience unbeatable encounters with humpback whales
and access Fraser Island – the world’s largest sand island – from Hervey Bay, three-and-a-half hours’ drive north of Brisbane.
Up close and personal
- Witness migratory whales playfully salute with their flippers and nurture their young calves in the calm protected waters from July to October every year. Hervey Bay is the only place in the world where whales stop and take time to play, giving you the closest encounters possible.
- Look the gentle giants straight in the eye from the platform of a whale watching tour boat or from below the surface while snorkelling.
- Learn about the history of the humpbacks and Great Sandy Biosphere then hit the water for kitesurfing or stand-up-paddle boarding.
Feed the soul
- Buy wild-caught seafood straight from the trawler or fish from Urangan’s historic 800-metre pier.
- Hire a bike and cruise the 14-kilometre long esplanade, stopping to shop or explore markets, alfresco cafes and restaurants.
- Combine your trip with one of the region’s cultural celebrations of seafood and wine.