Fossils showing the evolution of Australia’s mammals are forever preserved in limestone at the Riversleigh Fossil site in Outback Queensland. This World Heritage
Site is located in the south-eastern section of Lawn Hill National Park
and is worth a visit to see the well-preserved mammal fossils dating back 25 million years.
Learn more about the fossils
- See the fossils in-situ at the Riversleigh D Site. This is the only section of the World Heritage Site that is open to the public.
- Walk the Riversleigh Fossil Trail which will take you to the top of the limestone outcrop overlooking Riversleigh D site.
- Visit the Riversleigh Fossil Centre in Mount Isa to see the palaeontologists work on piecing back together the story of these mammal fossils.
- Explore the landscape of Lawn Hill National Park.
- Go further back in time and learn about the dinosaur fossils that are also found in Outback Queensland.
Start your Outback Queensland exploration below!