If you’ve been looking for an excuse to head outback and go bush, stop right there. Outback Queensland towns and their salt of the earth locals pretty much guarantee that you’ll have a darn tootin, rip roaring good time in the Outback. Especially if you time your visit around event season (from March til October).
Here’s a few quirky and quintessential Queensland events to make you feel true blue:
- Share a yarn with old Drovers around a campfire in Camooweal or watch the Camel Races and Camp Oven Cook Off in Bedourie.
- Head to Mount Isa for the biggest rodeo in the southern hemisphere #yeehah
- Wet a fishing line and snag a winning Barra in the Lake Moondarra
- Join the punters at the Birdsville Races and hold onto your best racing hat as the dust flies or place your bets on awesomely named yabbies at the International Windorah Yabby Races
- Be mesmerised by film artists in an open outdoor theatre at the Vision Splendid Film Festival in Winton
Check out The Outback Queensland calendar of events below for more inspiration.