Don your cowboy boots and take a step back in time to Charters Towers where you can pan for gold, catch a drive-in movie and round up Texas Longhorn cattle in an old-school wagon. Eureka!
Blast from the past
- Stroll down memory lane – Gill and Mosman Streets – and imagine life in the late 1800s surrounded by colonial architecture, including the world’s first stock exchange.
- You might not strike it rich, but you can pan for gold flakes at The Miner’s Cottage.
- Catch a blockbuster on the silver screen at one of Queensland’s oldest drive-in movie theatres.
Bush bash and bovines
- Visit in April for the 10 Days in the Towers festival featuring country music, bush poetry and good ol’ Aussie outback traditions.
- Ride in a horse-drawn wagon, sample a ‘smoko’ of damper and billy tea around a campfire and meet a Guinness World Record-holding Texas Longhorn steer at Leahton Park.