Spot shy platypus and swim in crystal-clear waterholes within the fertile Pioneer Valley, 80 kilometres (1.5 hours) west of Mackay.
Change of scenery
- Zipline 25 metres above the rainforest canopy of Finch Hatton Gorge or slide into a swimming hole n the forest floor below.
- Hike the Mackay Highlands Great Walk within Australia’s largest subtropical rainforest in Eungella National Park, complete with towering red cedar, Mackay tulip oak and groves of piccabeen and Alexandra palms.
- Watch the sugar cane be harvested from the valley during June to November in preparation for crushing at the riverside Sugar Mill at Marian.
- Wait patiently on the banks of Broken River for elusive platypus and turtles to pop their heads above water.
- Swim, water-ski or fish in Eungella Dam and overnight in a comfortable mountain chalet or camp under the stars.