Experience the thrill of catching the elusive barramundi bass or mangrove jack in one of Gladstone's top inland fishing spots or join a charter and drop a line out on the Southern Great Barrier Reef.
Here are the hottest fishing spots to try:
- Try Boyne Island and Tannum Sands on the Boyne River for excellent saltwater fishing.
- Freshwater fishing enthusiasts can throw in a line at nearby Lake Awoonga for barramundi, mangrove jack, grunter or perch.
- If you have a taste for mud crab try Ramsey’s Crossing at The Narrows.
- Only accessible by boat or kayak, Pancake Creek in behind Bustard Head is a remote fishing spot for fishermen who love a challenge.
- Out on the surrounding reef, Gatcomb Heads at the southern end of Facing Island produces catches of Sweetlip, Coral Trout, Honeycomb Cod, Tuna and Mackeral.
- At the northern end of Facing Island, the beach fishing at Farmers Point is sensational with Whiting, Bream, Dart and Flathead being the main catches of the day.