Graceville Memorial Park is better recognised for cricket ovals, complete with grandstand similar to the WWI memorial grandstand at Bulimba, yet it offers its own tributes to heroism, living and man-made.
Prior to the then Sherwood Shire's war memorial unveiling in November 1920, 52 bunya pines and cotton trees were planted along Plumridge and Appel streets, commemorating its war dead, 51 soldiers and one nurse. They were among 265 enlisted local men and seven nurses.
A 5.5 metre high cenotaph, created by AL Petrie with a copper scroll made by Norwegian craftsman Ernest Gunderson, was unveiled by Lieutenant Edwin Maurice Little of Corinda, a blind and maimed returned soldier. The polished grey granite column set on a light grey granite pedestal is crowned by a polished ball, etched with a map of Australia and the word 'ANZAC'.
An avenue of bauhinias, cabbage tree palms and Chinese elms was planted either side of a drive from Oxley Road leading to the memorial within the park reserve. A single line of figs and camphor laurels continued west from the memorial towards Appel Street.
The reserve has been officially known as Graceville Memorial Park since 1926. Plaques commemorating subsequent conflicts have been added.