Welcome to Rockhampton, where bovines reign supreme in the beef capital of Australia. Soak up historic Queensland architecture, grand sandstone pubs and memories of the gold rush era.
Beef, barramundi and botanical gardens
- Taste the region’s beef, crocodile and mud crab at a local pub and follow it up with an indoor rodeo.
- Feel the dust and drama at the annual cattle sales, visit a crocodile farm or back a winning race horse.
- Walk, cycle or fish for barramundi in the Fitzroy River, visit the art gallery or stroll the 144-year-old Heritage-listed botanical gardens.
- Commando crawl through caves and limestone shafts formed by a prehistoric coral reef 400 million years ago.
- Join a guided ranger tour into Mt Etna Caves National Park at dusk, from December to February, to witness thousands of bent wing bats at feeding time.
- See 150-million-year-old dinosaur footprints in Mount Morgan.