Old fig trees line the road into Irvinebank and provide a place of welcome. These hospitable old trees are happy to provide shade and shelter for a picnic or a cool spot of relaxation.
They have also witnessed the activity of this small historic village, west of Herberton on the Atherton Tablelands. Founded in 1882 as Gibbs Camp, mining magnate John Moffat lived here and invested in the town. His house, Loudoun House, is now a museum, reflecting much of the town's historic status.
Walk around town to see architectural styles from the late 1800s with the School of Arts building, the restored Old Police Station and Courthouse, the tramway station for the Stannary Hill line (no longer in existence) and the Queensland National Bank building.
Other historic sites include Mango Cottage and The Free Thinkers Cottage and the old Treatment Works where tin was processed for more than 100 years.
Other facilities include an art gallery in the old post office building, a hotel offering meals and some accommodation and camping. A large water impoundment close to town is always full of water and gives a lakeside ambience.