Chip into 900 square kilometres of sapphire-bearing gemfields west of Rockhampton and explore the sandstone wilderness of Carnarvon Gorge.
- Witness dramatic escarpments and narrow-sided gorges 27 million years in the making by foot or scenic flight in Carnarvon National Park.
- Cool off under waterfalls in Blackdown Tableland National Park.
- Absorb the grandeur of the Amphitheatre at Carnarvon Gorge, discover diversion tracks to Aboriginal stencil art and creeks filled with platypus, turtles, frogs and echidna.
Fishing and fossicking
- Pop on your miner’s hat and fossick in Rubyvale, Sapphire, Anakie and Willows Gemfields – 45-minutes’ drive west of Emerald.
- Grab a bucket of ‘wash’ and sieve for gems or skip the hands-on work and buy beautiful handcrafted jewellery direct.
- Join a guided nocturnal animal spotlighting group, tour an underground sapphire mine or fish for murray cod in the freshwaters of Lake Maraboon.