Animals make the world a better place! And, Australian animals are some of the most unique species on the planet. Did you know that over 80% of the creatures that call Australia home are only found here?
In Queensland, we are lucky to have some pretty awesome locals! In fact, Australian wildlife encounters are everywhere here. It’s like a zoo without fences!
While some visitors may be lucky enough to spot our Australian wildlife in the wild, you are guaranteed an up-close-and-personal experience at one of our world-class zoos and sanctuaries, who also promote education and conservation of our unique, native animals.
- On the Sunshine Coast, be sure to take some time out for Steve Irwin’s Australia Zoo and witness crocs in action.
- From June through November on the Fraser Coast, you can wave at humpback whales, as thousands migrate up the east coast of Australia to holiday in the warmer waters.
- Become a reef-geek and learn about the different creatures living on the Great Barrier Reef at Reef HQ in Townsville.
- Head to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane for some furry cuddles.
- From October to March witness the circle of life in action as sea turtles hit our Eastern shores to lay their eggs, and later see the hatchlings start their 100-year journey.
Whether you want to dive with sharks, cuddle a koala or take a peek at a platypus
in Mackay, Queensland will have you walking on the wild side in no time.