Queensland is one of the most naturally diverse places on the planet. With five of Australia’s 16 World Heritage areas and more than 450 national parks, marine reserves and state forests, it’s easy to understand why protecting and conserving these natural riches is so important.
Here’s a few things to help you on your next nature-based or sustainable holiday in Queensland:
- Consider how you travel. How big a carbon footprint are you leaving when you travel? Consider working with a carbon offset group to help offset your impact. If you're going on a driving holiday, make sure the car has been serviced and running at its fuel-efficient best. If you're hiring a vehicle, consider a hybrid. If you’re going to fly, consider the carbon offset add-on before you finalise your booking.
- Consider where you stay. Is your accommodation eco-certified? Ask if the property if it's accredited under a recognised ecotourism program. To find eco-accredited accommodation, select the Eco-Friendly option in the Start the Journey section below.
- Consider what you do. If you're planning on doing a tour or some other activity, ask the tourism business whether they are accredited under a recognised ecotourism program. And when visiting Queensland’s environmentally precious regions, leave only footprints and take only photographs. To get your sustainable break started, select the Eco-Friendly option in the search results below.
- Consider what you use. Do your part to conserve water and soap at hotels by requesting not to have linens and towels changed every day. For a sustainable beach meal, pick up picnic ingredients at a farmers' market or farm gate, and pack it in a basket with reusable plates and utensils — not plastic foam or plastic bags. And, of course, properly dispose of all waste.
- Consider where you shop. Whether you're buying souvenirs or groceries, try to shop local! By supporting local businesses, you invest back in the community and support sustainable tourism.
- Volunteer to help Queensland's Natural Wonders on your next holiday.
Start your eco-friendly accommodation or activity search below.