Sink your teeth into the prehistoric dinosaur history of Queensland’s Outback. Or try your luck at the old fashioned way of getting rich quick in the gold or gem fields of Queensland.
- Take a road trip along the Tropic of Capricorn, starting at Yeppoon and roaming inland through Winton to Boulia, and you’ll uncover a living museum of prehistoric fossils and geological landscapes from a time when dinosaurs ruled the earth.
- Put on your Palaeontologist hat and join a dig to dust off dinosaur bones or trawl through the impressive displays in the museums throughout the outback.
- Visit the limestone Capricorn Caves to see fossils ingrained in the cave walls.
- Fossick for dinosaur fossils at Australian Age of Dinosaurs Museum.
- See the world’s best-preserved dinosaur stampede at Lark Quarry Dinosaur Trackways.
- Grab a fossicking pan and strike it rich with a gold or gemstone find in Capricorn.
- Mount Morgan - one of the oldest mines in Australia.
- Head to the Sapphire Gemfields for a guided mine tour and gem galleries that will leave twinkles in your eyes.
- Hunt for a Queensland Boulder Opal in Opalton in Queensland's Outback.