Trying to figure out how you’re going to get to The Whitsundays and then get around the mainland and the island? Here are our travel tips!
- Whitsunday Coast Airport at Proserpine is the best airport to fly into if you’re holidaying at Airlie Beach.
- Great Barrier Reef Airport, Hamilton Island is the best option if you are predominately staying on Hamilton Island or are getting a transfer to Hayman.
- You can also fly into Mackay Airport and take the 1hour 45minute road trip north to Airlie Beach on the Bruce Highway.
From the Bruce Highway look from the turn off to Airlie Beach just past Proserpine.
You can catch the Tilt train from Brisbane to Proserpine and from there catch a transfer into Airlie Beach.
Once you’re in The Whitsundays, you can choose your own way to get around!
To fully appreciate the Whitsunday Coast, getting a hire car is the best option. With Airlie Beach is your base, there are a bunch of day road trips that you can plan to explore the surrounding mainland areas:
- Airlie Beach to Cedar Creek Falls – 30 minute drive
- Airlie Beach to Cape Gloucester – 1 hour drive
- Airlie Beach to Proserpine – 30 minute drive
- Airlie Beach to Bowen – 1 hour drive
Ferry me to the islands
From the Port of Airlie at Airlie Beach you can catch a island transfers to the following Whitsunday Islands
From Shute Harbour:
From the Great Barrier Reef Airport, Hamilton Island:
- Daydream Island
- Port of Airlie, Airlie Beach
Explore all of the transport options available below.