Take advantage of the laid-back lifestyle in Mackay and explore the natural attractions across the region up-close.
- Cruise off the coast to one of the tropical islands or the Great Barrier Reef.
- Charter a fishing boat and eat freshly caught fish for dinner.
- Watch the sunrise while rubbing elbows with resident wallabies at Cape Hillsborough, where the rainforest meets the reef.
- Hear the wind rustle through the fields of sugar cane heading west from the coast.
- Walk through clouds in misty, mountainous Eungella or Finch Hatton Gorge and try to spot the elusive platypus.
Between the art deco architecture of the region’s namesake city and the endless variety of Mackay’s nature and wildlife it’s easy to find yourself lost in the surprises that Mackay serves up.