The town was established with the coming of the railways in 1879 and is named after the Dulacca Station nearby. Originally spelt 'Doolackah,' the name was derived from an Aboriginal name meaning 'emu tracks.'
An interesting point to note about Dulacca is that it was the site of the first efforts to eradicate the invasive prickly pear cactus. The fight to eradicate the prickly pear was spurred on by the Government's reward of 40,000 hectares of land to whoever could restore their land to its original state. It is estimated that the menacing plant covered more than 50 million acres of Queensland at its peak.
The town's hotel, known as the Waterhole on the Hill, dates back to 1908 and a brief history of the town is displayed at Lions Park. Join the locals for a yarn and learn a little more about the towns interesting beginnings and history.
Note: Information on listed products and services are provided by the operator and were correct at the time of publishing. Rates are indicative based on the minimum and maximum available prices of products and services. Please visit the operator’s website for further information. All prices quoted are in Australian dollars (AUD).