Yeronga Memorial Park is a living reminder of the impact WWI had on a community.
Of the 559 residents who enlisted from (then) Stephens Shire, 97 names appear on marble tablets in the centre of a domed pavilion, designed by returned serviceman Sergeant Henry Priest (9th Battalion) and fine-tuned by architect George Trotter.
A similar number of trees were planted between 1917 and 1919. Each tree represented a local life lost. Today, the mature weeping figs of Honour Avenue, one of Australia's earliest such boulevards, create a cathedral-like avenue accessible to walkers and cyclists.
A slight detour along a palm-lined footpath takes visitors to the stone memorial built in 1921. Memorial gates were erected that year too at either end of the avenue. The dedication on the southern inner pier of the Ipswich Road Gates honours the women workers of the Stephens Shire.
Until WWI, Queensland had few public memorials. The outpouring of grief at the loss of 60,000 Australian lives, buried in Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, changed townscapes across the country.
Recent work has seen the inclusion of memorials to later conflicts and the replacement of lost plaques by the trees, bearing soldiers' names.