Capricorn Coast, Livingstone Area
A simple white obelisk, its four faces reflecting the role Yeppoon's men and women played in international conflicts, the first being WWI, provides an integrated precinct of remembrance in this coastal central Queensland town. Look a little further and other traces of the grief and national pride felt by this community after WWI can be found.
Trees, symbolising continuing life, were planted two metres apart in 1921 along The Esplanade (now called Anzac Parade), Normanby Street and James Street. Commemorative plaques for individual lost soldiers were originally installed under the trees.
Mature hoop pines, chosen for their longevity and suitability to withstand seaside condition, have flourished along Anzac Parade. They extend around the corner into Normanby Street.
James Street's plantings didn't fare so well. The coconut palm trees with small concrete cairns at their base are more recent plantings. Only two brass plaques commemorating individual servicemen survive in place.
When the obelisk and surrounds were restored in 2010, a marble tablet listing the 68 townsmen who enlisted in WWI, was incorporated on the eastern face.
Plaques commemorating the enlisted for WWII, Korea and Vietnam have been added.