Windsor, Brisbane Area
A red light from a bronze lantern beams out at night from a Helidon brown sandstone cenotaph, standing on a high point of a northern thoroughfare leading towards Brisbane's Central Business District.
The octagonal pavilion with its four arches and domed roof was unveiled on ANZAC Day 1925 on behalf of the citizens of Windsor to commemorate local residents who had served in WWI.
This dominating cenotaph, designed by honorary architects FR Hall and WA Devereux and constructed by Peter Frew, is rare among Queensland's WWI monuments because of its octagonal design. Yeronga's Memorial is closest in style in Brisbane.
External corner panels are inscribed with names of some 120 local war dead. Red and blue concrete borders a leaded marble commemorative plaque on the pavilion's floor. Moulded laurel wreath ornamentation encircle the ceiling.
The Windsor War Memorial stands on the site of the original school situated between Lutwyche Road and Roblane Street, Windsor-opposite the former Windsor Town Council Chambers.