Toowoomba, Toowoomba Area
Established in 1938, Toowoomba has the oldest public art gallery in regional Queensland. The new gallery opened in 1994 and is owned and maintained by Toowoomba Regional Council.
The Gallery is the permanent home to the Lionel Lindsay Art Gallery and Library. Assembled by Toowoomba resident, the late Mr William Bolton MBE, this collection features over 400 significant Australian artworks by such artists as Lionel, Daryl and Ruby Lindsay, Phillips Fox, McCubbin and more. The Library comprises rare books and manuscripts, including letters written by explorer Ludwig Leichhardt.
The Fred and Lucy Gould art collection also features, consisting of antique furniture, fine porcelain and glassware, gold and silverware, and other items mostly from Europe, Asia and Australia. The works date from 1700s to 1930s.
The City Collection focuses on twentieth century Australian paintings, drawings, photographs, ceramics, small scale sculpture and jewellery with emphasis on works by regional artists with regional themes.
The Gallery has an extensive program. Contemporary exhibitions change monthly, while historical exhibitions change three times a year. The Gallery aims to provide diversity of educational activities to complement the exhibition program.
The Gallery Shop offers a variety of interesting gifts and the work of regional and interstate artists.