A Brisbane bayside soldier statue memorial has had a harsh life in serving to remind its community of the 16 local men who died in WWI. The original Carrara marble soldier statue above a plinth was unveiled by state parliamentarian WH Barnes MLA in March 1921. The designer and stonemason are unrecorded.
Names on the front of the plinth are those of men from Manly who died in WWI. The western face bears the names of locals who died in WWII.
Years of vandalism culminated in the marble statue being pulled from the pedestal and the head broken off in 1992.
A concrete replica replaced the statue in 2007.