The life-sized grey sandstone 'Digger' statue in the Darling Downs farming community of Greenmount, stands at ease on top of a square base, with crossed rifles and laurel wreaths carved on the sides. Warwick stonemason, WP Prout created the memorial. He built the base for the Allora memorial and a digger for the Killarney memorial which was destroyed in a cyclone in 1968. Greenmount is believed to be his only remaining intact 'Digger'.
The Governor Sir Matthew Nathan unveiled the statue on 11 December 1922, and spoke of the gratitude the Empire owed to people of a small Queensland village, where from a shire of 2,000 people, 184 joined up. All are listed on the memorial, including the 27 who died. It also commemorates the war service of Sister Elizabeth Kenny who later pioneered treatment for polio.
The memorial originally stood near the railway station, the heart of the township. It was relocated in 1986 to the Greenmount Bicentennial Memorial Park, adjoining the Returned Soldiers Hall, encircled with garden beds and set off by the rural backdrop of hills and valleys.
WWII servicemen's names have been added.