North Burnett's Goomeri war memorial clock is timelessly quirky, demanding a double-take. No numbers appear on the clock faces. They're replaced by letters spelling 'LEST WE FORGET'.
Goomeri war memorial clock was unveiled on 15 November 1940 by the RSL state president, RD Huish. The 22.5 metre high concrete memorial honours local men who died. The southern face bears a polish granite plaque with the engraved names of nine who died in WWI. The western face displays the names of 12 who died in WWII.
Clocks weren't commonly chosen in Queensland as war memorials, the 'Digger' soldier statue was most popular. It's not known who designed Goomeri's memorial; however the metal work was produced by Ernest Gunderson and was part of an earlier monument commemorating WWI.
It was erected at a cost of £700, raised by the Goomeri Returned Services League Sub-Branch.
The clock tower stands in a traffic island in one of the main intersections of Goomeri, the 'time', or timely message, illuminated at night.