Charters Towers, Charters Towers Area
The Stock Exchange Arcade was designed by Sydney architect Mark Day and built by Sandbrook Brothers of Sydney in 1888. This prestigious shop and office arcade was built for local civic leader and businessman Alexander Malcolm. Known then as the Royal Arcade, it housed the Charters Towers Stock Exchange from 1890. It was one of Australia's first few regional stock exchanges and was needed to raise capital for the deep reef mines throughout the region. The Stock Exchange was linked into the world via telegraph, with three calls a day, six days a week. At one time the price of gold was set in the very Arcade, an indication of the importance of the Charters Towers' economy at the time.
The stockbrokers offices have now been converted into shops. Don't miss the "Calling of the Card," a ghostly reminder of Charters Towers' golden days when just a touch of greed echoed in these stately walls.
The Assay Mining Museum is located at the back of the Arcade and contains articles used in the assaying of gold in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. There are also interesting dioramas of gold mines and workings from this era.