Chinchilla's soldier statue on the northern Darling Downs, 1 of 55 surviving soldier statues in Queensland, has had its share of wars on home soil.
Governor Sir Hamilton John Goold-Adams unveiled the AL Petrie-made memorial on 30 January 1919, originally in a small memorial park in Chinchilla Street, near the footbridge over the railway line.
Vandalism damaged this symbol of nationalistic pride, youth, innocence, loyalty and bravery.
In 1977, the statue was removed and separated from its pedestal and base. Part of the pedestal was re-erected and an obelisk added in front of the Chinchilla Civic Centre: this was rededicated in 1979.
The Women's Auxiliary of Chinchilla's RSL sub-branch raised funds for the damaged soldier statue to be restored. It was re-erected in front of the RSL hall further down Heeny Street in 1992.