Maryborough, Fraser Coast Area
Pioneer graves help to create a sense of history when visiting the Original Maryborough site, known as the Wide Bay Village, it was first settled by Aldridge and the Palmer Brothers in 1848, although George Furber had set up a store and wharf on the opposite bank a year earlier. It was largely abandoned by the mid 1850s in favour of the deeper port downstream, the city’s current location. The town was renamed Maryborough in January 1849 after the death of the Governor's wife, Lady Mary Fitzroy.
Located on the banks of the Mary River, about four kilometres from the city centre, the 30 hectare site has interpretive signage, walkways and trails along the creek frontage, pioneer graves, picnic tables, barbecue facilities and toilets.