Windorah, Barcoo Area
John Costello was empowered by John Collin and Son of Melbourne to secure land for the Collins family. It was during one of these early exploring trips that John stopped here and carved his initials (or was it J.C. for John Collin) on the famous JC tree while he was waiting for his billy to boil.
A hotel was built nearby at a later date, and when Surveyor G.T. Weale laid out a township in 1884, he gave it the name Canterbury, because the Post Master General's Department would not accept J.C. as a town name. The township and the run was officially named Canterbury, but the hotel continued to be referred to as "The J.C.".
The hotel and township of Canterbury have long disappeared and all that is left is the small remains and cemetery. The tree on which John carved his initials has long gone.
The hotel was a pise building, the rammed earth walls were marked and painted to resemble larger rectangular stone blocks.