Charters Towers, Charters Towers Area
Centenary Park has gold discovery monuments, picnic tables, toilets, gas barbecues, a children's playground, liberty swing and is always cool and shady. Make sure you take a picture of the Bat Statue created and designed as part of the 2013 LATTE exhibition.
Centenary Park also has an interesting history. The area was first gazetted as reserve for public purposes in 1888. In 1941 the last gazette order in council set aside the area as a reserve for park purposes and named it "Sayers Park" after Robert John Sayers.
From the city's very early days, Centenary Park was called "Harvey's Reserve", no doubt because Joseph Harvey, a local butcher built and lived in "Tower Villa", an old Queenslander style home that still faces out over the north east corner of the Reserve. During 1972 the Park was re-named "Centenary Oval" as part of the city's centenary celebrations. The 1941 naming had mostly been forgotten by this time, although "Harvey's Reserve" is still the name used by older cricketers.