Kingaroy, South Burnett Area
The Burnett War Museum is located three kilometres south off Cooyer Road from Kingaroy. Turn left into Warren Truss Drive and the museum is located in the old Metrological Building, beside the terminal.
This building houses a comprehensive display of wartime memorabilia including four paintings by local artist Vasantha Barrett depicting four air ambulances used during World War II. A display of photos taken by Maurice Kingston, a local teacher who was drafted into the Army in 1942, makes an interesting record of wartime scenes from Esk to Murgon.
The Burnett War Memorial Museum Association is slowly restoring all buildings at the airport erected at the airport during World War II to house and service troops who were stationed in Kingaroy during training and exercises.
The Motor Pool building is used as the Museum workshop and houses a 10 ton Miles Field Kitchen complete with boiler, a WD6 Dodge carrier and a two-ton ammunition carrier as static displays. Other buildings include the Airport Morgue and Ambulance Hut, which is home to a short wheelbase Ford Blitz with an ambulance body on the back. In one day during the war 96 huts were built some of which were moved into Kingaroy and are still in use.
There is a monument in Geoff Rath Drive (also known as the Burma Highway during the War) listing all squadrons and personnel stationed at the Kingaroy Wartime Royal Australian Air Force Base and a Roll of Honour of service personnel who lost their lives in the Burnett during World War II.