Maryborough, Fraser Coast Area
Brennan and Geraghty's Store, with adjoining residence and cottage, was acquired by the National Trust of Queensland in 1975 due to its historical commercial significance.
The large timber grocery store with masonry facade was operated by two generations of the same family for 101 years. The store was opened in April 1871 by Patrick Brennan and Martin Geraghty. The store traded through to 1972 when it was closed by Geraghty's youngest son George. George was then 88 years old. When George closed the shop, he shut it up with complete stock from the 1890's through to advertising signs of the 1920's and packaging from the 1960's.
After many painstaking years of restoration, the store was opened as a museum about itself and its place in the community, it is a rare survivor of our commercial heritage surviving intact with its own contents.
The store is open seven days a week, the adjoining houses are not open to the public. The store is closed during mid February each year for maintenance work.
|Entry||Cost AUD||Valid From||Inclusions|
|Adult||$5.00||1 April 2009 – 31 March 2015|
|Child||$2.00||1 April 2009 – 31 March 2015|
|Concession||$3.50||1 April 2009 – 31 March 2015|
Note: Information on listed products and services are provided by the operator and were correct at the time of publishing. Rates are indicative based on the minimum and maximum available prices of products and services. Please visit the operator’s website for further information. All prices quoted are in Australian dollars (AUD).