Maryborough, Fraser Coast Area
It was here at the site of the first Maryborough court house, police station and gaol, that in 1877, gallows and a hangman were brought from Brisbane and two felons were publicly hung. For many decades Maryborough Town Hall Green has been a place for residents and visitors to meet and is a popular vantage point to sit and watch the passing parade.
There are four large etchings adjacent to the Commonwealth Bank titled “Five O’clock Whistle” which represent aspects of Maryborough’s history. Hundreds of workers from the various factories of lower Kent Street, Walkers Limited, the Sugar Factory, Hynes Timber Mill and the Shipyards would cycle home at 5.00 p.m., often four and five abreast up Kent Street. At the Adelaide Street intersection, the police would sometimes stop traffic so they could ride through.
Towards City Hall you will note Chifley Place which provides a venue for freedom of speech.
Five characters from the Mary Poppins books are etched on the brick plinths on the green closer to Kent Street and five more are in the footpath at the foot of the ramp. These may be reproduced by placing a sheet of paper on each and rubbing with a pencil.